With the ever-increasing number of non-English speaking users accessing the internet, it’s more important than ever before to take a more global view of language translation and how this applies to Search Engine Optimization (SEO). This trend is challenging for optimization companies and translators alike. Some essential points to consider for your business:
- “International” keyword selections should represent multicultural variations.
- Frequently review the international “referrers” on your site. Your traffic logs will indicate what foreign countries provide your site with the most hits.
- Study international search engine algorithm trends as closely as domestic ones.
- Follow international SEO companies and their movement to use local providers.
- Consider opening International Domain Names (IDNs).
- Be sure your translator is familiar with the use of Computer Assisted Translation (CAT) Tools, which refer to specialized translation software.
As marketing efforts become more personalized — yet more global at the same time — localization is the secret to SEO success. It’s vitally important to need to track and manage your international keyword listings and understand the search words your localized target audience is partial to.
— Steve Iaconis